Tapping into Your Emotions for Successful Decision-Making
Does logical thinking not always mesh with your gut feelings? When it comes to big decisions–whether personal or professional–sometimes we need to pay more attention to how we feel than what we think. “If you want a career, relationships, and life in general that’s inspiring and makes you incredibly happy and fulfilled, you simply can’t rely solely your logical brain. You MUST tap into your emotions and your intuition (or “gut feelings”),” writes Kristen Walker of Clarity on Fire. In her most recent blog, Kristen suggests we take a break from our “pros and cons” list and visualize what our possible outcomes will feel like. Close your eyes and ask yourself questions such as:
- You’ve just accepted the job (or the board of directors position, the marriage proposal, etc.). How do you feel right now?
- Fast-forward to 6 months–what’s going on in your day-to-day life? Describe it.
- How do you feel when you wake up each morning in this situation?
- Where are you living? Who are the people in your life? How do you feel about your surroundings?
- How’s your energy level? How excited, motivated, and fulfilled do you feel by what you are doing?
- What’s missing from your life in this situation? What feels like it’s lacking?
- What regrets (if any) do you feel?
At the end of the visualization, how do you feel about the decision?
“I’m not asking you to ignore logic completely — we need it to make balanced choices,” adds Kristen. “The best decisions are those that tap into our logical brain, our emotions, and our intuition. But if you rely completely on logic (like so many of us do), you’ll likely find yourself wondering later on, ‘I thought I made a good decision, so why does this feel so bad?'”
Click here to read the entire blog post.
image courtesy of flickr CC/Lori Greig